Thursday 5 June 2014

Of conversations and umbrellas.

I spent half of yesterday making this.


  One of the English program's where I work wants to have "Conversations under the umbrella". I spent a lot of the last two weeks convincing someone who doesn't work here that a large outdoor umbrella would quite possibly be a WHS hazard in this library. (How she could not see the potential eye pokings out I cannot grasp). Then I had to convince same person that while it was a good idea to place a sign on the table saying

HELLO, YOU ARE SPEAKING TO FELICITY TODAY

That there was no point in putting on the back of said sign

FELICITY IS NOT AVAILABLE TODAY.

I'm not sure I actually even did convince her that despite learning English, students were still able to understand the idea that Felicitys none presence on the table did indeed mean she wasn't available. Or even the irony that the very act of asking a member of the library staff if Felicity was available was actually a conversation. Perhaps it didn't count cos it wasn't 'Under the umbrella' 

Sometimes I find idiot speak quite draining.  I so need this long weekend. 




No comments:

Post a Comment